Birding Tour Package Details
8 Day/7 Night – Feathered Features of the Rain Forest Tour
- Day 1: Arrive at the San Jose Airport where one of our English speaking chauffeurs will be waiting to pick you up and will take you to a local hotel. You are free to explore the city or just relax in your hotel.
- Day 2: Breakfast will be served at the Hotel and you will be picked up by our Birding Tour Guide who will take you to Montverde Cloud Forest. The trip to Montverde Cloud Forest is very scenic and will take 3.5 hours. Your Birding Guide & Chauffer will be with you during your stay in Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Once you arrive in Montverde Cloud Forest you will be checked into a local hotel where you will be served lunch. After lunch, you will be taken on a hike through the National Park and Cloud Forest where you will see many Unique Bird Species like: Quetzals, Bell Birds, Tanagers and many more bird species commonly found in the Cloud Forest. After a day of Birding you will return to the Hotel for Dinner and will have the evening to relax.
- Day 3: Breakfast will be served at the Hotel and you will be picked up by our Birding Tour Guide who will take you on a tour to Hanging Bridges in the Cloud Forest where you will visit The Humming Bird Gallery. After the Humming Bird Gallery lunch will be served. After Lunch the Tour will depart on a trip around Lake Arenal where you will locate numerous species of birds. You will be spending the night at The Volcano Lodge where dinner will be served and you will have the evening to relax.
- Day 4: Breakfast will be served at the Lodge and you will be picked up by our Birding Tour Guide who will take you on a Tour through Hanging Bridges to visit the Mid Level area between Cloud Forest and Low Land Forest. This region is home to many bird species that you will be able to observe, and many will be Lifers.
- Day 5: Breakfast will be served at the Lodge and you will be picked up by our Birding Tour Guide who will take you on a scenic drive to Puerto Viejo Sarapiqui which will take 2.5 hrs. Once in Puerto Viejo Sarapiqui you will jump aboard our River Boat and will depart to The Rio Indio Lodge on the San Juan River in Southern Nicaragua. The boat ride is very scenic and you will see Reptiles and Mammals along the waterways. You will also be able to observe many species of birds that fly through the Lowland Rain Forest. Upon arrival to Rio Indio Lodge we will have a gourmet lunch ready and plenty of free time to go birding in the Rain Forest that surrounds the Birding Lodge. Our private 250 acres of reserve rainforest is surrounded by 850,000 acres of the Rio Indio Maiz World Heritage National Park which is home to many unique bird species. Later in the evening Dinner will be served at the lodge and you will have a free evening to hang out at the open rum bar with other guests staying at the lodge.
- Day 6: Breakfast will be served at the Lodge which will be followed by a full day of birding with your Birding Tour Guide and Local Rama Natives who know the Jungle very well.
- Day 7: Breakfast will be served at the Lodge which will be followed by a full day of birding with your Birding Tour Guide and Local Rama Natives who will take you to view Red Macaws and Green Macaws in the Rainforest. You will also view Tanagers and many other migrating species. Rio Indio Lodge is on the main path of the Eastern Migration Route.
- Day 8: Breakfast will be served at the Lodge and afterwards you will be taken to the local International Airport for a 30min flight to San Jose Costa Rica, with transfer to the International airport for your return flight home.
Price Per Birder $3,244.00 - 4 Guest Minimum To Book This Package
We have special group rates and can quote different itineraries upon request. The best season is November through May.
This package includes the following:
- Van transfer to Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica from San Jose, Costa Rica and water transfer from Puerto Viejo to the Rio Indio Lodge in Southern Nicaragua are provided at no additional cost to all guests purchasing this package.
- All meals when staying with partner hotels while on your Birding Tour.
- All meals in our gourmet restaurant, snacks, open rum and beer bar, snacks and beverages while at the Rio Indio Lodge.
- Accommodations throughout your Birding Tour
- Professional Birding Tour Guide for your entire trip and Bilingual Rama Native Rainforest Guides while at the Rio Indio Lodge.
- Visa to Nicaragua is Included.
NOTE: Prices valid for travel before Dec. 1, 2013 and after January 2, 2014. Río Indio Lodge reserves the right to modify this and all policies at its discretion.